Wednesday 17 September 2008

How can I leave an impression in meetings?

Know the Questions:
Know the questions you need to ask before you go into the meeting. This will ensure you prime yourself to listen. It will ensure you appear fully engaged as an active participant.

Know the Wit:
Know the witty lines you can possible use in the meeting to put everyone at ease and show you are not all business.

Playback:
Use the playback
mechanism to repeat everything you have heard.

"I want to ensure that I have captured this correctly, let me play it back for you .."

"So, if I understand it correctly .."

"Let me play it back to ensure I fully grasped it .."

a) Forces you to listen
B) Shows the speaker you care and understand
c) You appear smart


Encourage Dialogue:

"Before we start, when I mention _____ what words come to mind?"

"Tell me more about ____"

"So if we have not yet formalised what steps we need to perform to ensure success, let me make it easier by turning it on its head...so, what steps/lack there of would reduce success?"

Identify the WoW Factor:
What phrase, idea, methodology, slide, question, comment is going to leave them with that
WoW - "impressive" - Factor.

End with Actions:
"So, in terms of actions and next steps.. "



No comments: