Monday 21 July 2008

What do I need to know to improve my negotiation skills?

Beginning Gambits - occur at the start of negotiations.

1. The Flinch
Express shock and dismay at what the other side is presenting. This technique forces the other side to adjust.

"What, are you kidding me,..you must be joking..."

2. The Empathy
Acknowledging another person's feelings without giving any ground. It's also a way to disagree without being disagreeable.

“I understand how you feel. Others have felt the same way initially, however when they have found out more, they have come around...”

3. First Offers
The general rule is to never accept the first offer.

4. The Squeeze
Squeeze the price range up or down in your favor.

“haha....You'll have to do better than that.”

ANS: “How much better do I have to do?”


Middle Gambits - used to keep things going, assuming that you want to do business with this party.

1. Quid Pro Quo
Never give a concession without getting a concession.

“I can certainly do that for you if, you can help me by xyz.... am I being unfair?”

2. The Set-Aside
When you're deadlocked on an issue, set it aside and come back to it after you've reached agreement on the easier issues. Later both sides will have the motivation to be flexible.

"Lets skip over this now and circle back to it later"


Ending Gambits - the end games.

1. BATNA
When asking yourself if you should go through with what you've negotiated, ask yourself:

“What's my Best Alternative To a Negotiated Agreement?”

2. The Walk-Away
Your ability to negotiate is tied to your ability to walk away from the deal.

"I'm not happy with these conditions. I would rather disengage at this point."

SUMMARY:
[FEOS QA BA]

No comments: