Tuesday 7 July 2009

How do I run a kick-ass demo?

Create a day in the life Scenario (objective: cost + effect vs. benefit + impact)

- Describe their objective.

- Contrast what the user formerly did, the cost + effect of doing so that brought versus what the user can now do and the benefits + impact that brings.

"As a business developer researching a prospect. Previously, gathering information was a lengthy process and required me to search Google, our internal CMS, our internal DBs, LexisNexi, Factiva... This was extremely time consuming [cost] and meant I had less time to research so gave a very weak pitch which lead to fewer conversions [effect]"

Walkthrough the Demo as if they are story's protagonist..IMAGINE THAT YOU ARE...BEFORE I... BUT NOW

"Imagine taht you are looking for a customer's previous transactions for the company (their context) ...Before I ...But Now I simply browse to my search portal. Type in the topic I am interested in. The results are aggregated from all of the sources and retuerned to me in sub-second speed [benefit] This means I can get more done in less time and perform more effective and thorough research[impact]"

I CAN CHOOSE TO USE __ {what}___THIS ENABLES ME TO OVERCOME THE PROBLEM OF ___{why:cost}___.

HOW THIS WORK IS THAT ___{how}. THIS IS USEFUL FOR ME AS A __{role}___ BECAUSE ___{why:benefit}___.

Example:

"I can choose to use query completition. This enables me to overcome the problem of misspelling those complex financial terms.

How this works is that it generates a dictionary based on the key entities and phrases it identifies during document processing.

This is useful for me as a lay users, in that I can quickly type in a few words and be directed to content I may not have even know existed."

Describe benefits from different perspectives

There are a few different perspectives here, from the buyers perspective...from the end user perspective

No comments: