Wednesday 30 December 2009

Tough Questions Communication Template

Golden Rule: Alaways be looking for THE FLIP
- Before I answer, for what reasons is that important to you?
- Before I kick-off, What areas would you specifically like me to cover?
- So that I make best use of time, tell me, what are you interested in seeing specifically?

P.O.A.E.M - Problem.Our Offering.Advantage it brings.Example.Metrics



Microsoft are a monopoly that make it difficult for smaller players in the market. What is your opinion?


--- BUYING TIME ---
[Repeat question.Answer a question with a question.]
[Repeat +]So, why is that important to you
Can you give me an example of how this is used today?
That is an interesting question for a number of reasons. irstly, ______. Secondly, ______. Finally,______.
There is no one single answer, but I will attempt to give you my view on this _________.
I do not have all the facts in this area, but I can give you my opinion at a high level.
I am not the expert in this area, but I can give you my opinion at a high level.
There are a number of components. Firstly, ______. Secondly, ______. Finally,______.



--- ABSORBING & NEUTRALISING QUESTION ---
[Reverse & Repeat & Smile]
What is, my opinion, on your, assertion, that Microsoft, are a monopoly, that make it difficult, for smaller players, in the market.
Well Firstly, let me categorically state that I do not agree with the veracity of that statement.
Secondly, let me state some facts ...

--- FACTS DISCREDIT THEIR ASSERTION ---

I don't know where you pulled that statement from but let me just respond with facts.
[Facts. How this discredits.]
At Microsoft we contribute a whopping $16 million to local enterprises each year. This involves _______
So for you to make such an assertion demonstrates that you have not sufficiently done your homework.


--- UNRAVEL THE QUESTION ---
The false alternative - [Identify the root]
"Was your decision based on wrong practice or did you just not know?"
The root of your question is evaluation and that is what I will answer...

The hypothetical - [Focus facts]
"If x happens, what will you do?"
I can't see the future unfortunately, but looking purely at the facts…

The loaded preface - [Ignore insult, bridge to feel good statement]
"Your organization has been called arrogant by the local associations. So what are you doing in terms of partnerships?"
I'll ignore the insult an focus on the facts. On the contrary, we...

The absent party - [Deny insult, bridge to feel good statement]
"So-and-so has stated that your organization is behind the times..."
I’m not familiar with that remark.

The inconsistency - [Focus on differing conditions]
"In 1997, you said x; now you're doing x . Why the change?"
I am sure you will agree that the environment was very different in 1997. There was no September the 11th , no FB, no Twitter...Do you agree?

Putting words in your mouth - [do not dignify]
"Did you mismanage money?"
I do not know where you pull your facts from, but if those sources were accurate you would know that such an accusation is ludicrous.


--- DISCREDIT THEIR AUTHORITY ---
Are you a Qualified doctor, Scientist, expert, politician? Then you are not exactly a credible source are you?
Have you had any experience working with medicine, government policies, ? Well then, all your arguments are only second hand assumptions not first hand experience. Is that correct?
You say that it is ___ but how can that be true when you were not even present when ___.


--- EXPRESS DISAGREEMENT ---
I can't say I share your view on this and I'll tell you why. Firstly, ____. Secondly, ____. Thirdly, ____.
I feel I must disagree. And I'll tell you why. Firstly, ____. Secondly, ____. Thirdly, ____.
Well, I take your point, yet I can't help feeling that _______.
I respect your opinion. I think it makes sense. But on the other hand ____________.



--- FLAG KEY POINTS ---
{Slow, for, dramatic, effect, and, absorption}
The reason I believe this is important is for the following reasons. Firstly,.. Secondly,.. Finally..
Let me share for you why I believe this is important ______.
Let me share for you my ideas around this ____.
The most important thing to remember here is ________.
Let me clarify for you __________.


--- SUPPORT KEY POINTS ---
From our customer base we observe that ________.
Research has shown that,____________.
They have performed studies which have shown that ___________.
As [Famous Person] Winston Churchill once said, ________________.
Most [Expert Group] doctors would tell you that __________.
Let me give you an example, ____________.
Let me illustrate my point with an analogy _________.
Let me put that into a different context for you _______.
Let me help you fully understand _______.


--- BLOCK & BRIDGE ---
I don't know _____ What I do know is __________ [feel good statement].
I can't answer that , what I can answer is ________ [feel good statement].
I agree that is very important, however what we find most important is __________ [feel good statement].
I see you point but more importantly _________ [feel good statement].


No comments: