Friday 13 February 2009

Earning Trust [R.I.S.C]

Earning Trust [R.I.S.C]
Trust is important in all stages of career. - Earning responsibility for challenging tasks - Convincing colleagues to collaborate and trust you - convincing subordinates to work for you as manager - Convincing customers to buy from you.

4 main componenets in Earning Trust

Credibility -
Word oriented - I can trust what he says. [Control what we say in relation to what we do.]
Reliability -
Action oriented - I can trust him to do x. [Control what we do.Do what we say.]
Intimacy -
Emotion oriented - I feel comfortable around him. [View colleagues as people not roles]

Self Orientation -
Motive oriented - I can trust he has my best interests in mind. [Control focus on the other person]
Avoid: fear of ignorance/being rejected, desire to succeed alone vs. helping others, preoccupation with own development.

Build confidence and reliability:
-by being generous with ideas and help.
-by adding more than is contracted - free bonuses, concessions
-by adding the personal touch
-by actually caring versus appearing to
-by showing my interests as client are as important as your interests
-by showing you are in it for the longhaul

Winning trust is multi-dimensional. Need to win over on all four components.

No comments: