Monday 2 February 2009

Flags & Bridges - Communication

Flag Messages-
A Flag is a verbal cue that you are about to say something significant si the audience better listen. It's waving a flag to grab their attention.

"The most important thing to remember here is .."
"The key differentiator you will see here is .."
"You will see here that .."
"What you will see here is .."
"If you are to leave the presentation with just one message, this should be it .."
"Let me clear something up .."
"The reason I believe this is important is that .."

Flags often end up being the key take home points for listeners.

Bridge Content -
Bridges are used to move from one topic to another, typically one you are more comfortable with.

You should prepare bridges to feel good statements before hand.

1. Answering tough questions:
“I don’t know whether the budget will allow us to fund a new basketball program. What I do know is we are committed to providing students great opportunities to keep fit. "



“I agree with you that it is an important matter for many people, but to me the most important thing is…”


2. Connecting content:
"We often get the question..."
"With our customers we tend to see that..."
"This leads me to, .."
"In saying that, .."
"Further to that, .."




No comments: