Wednesday 17 December 2008

Open & Flexible Relevancy Model

Open & Flexible Relevancy Model


How easy is it for users to find the information they are looking for?

Do different business units and departments rely on particular data sources more than others?

Do different regional and international offices rely on particular data sources more than others?

In that case, would you say that they have a somewhat idiosyncratic view to what is relevant?

Rather than, Unlike:

No longer a one-size-fits-all relevancy, take a user’s context into consideration to provide personalized results.

Business Objectives, business challenges:

Serve up content specific to a users context.

Less time spent trawling through irrelevant results. More time on high value tasks.

I CAN GIVE YOU AN EXAMPLE:

Let’s say I go to my favourite web search engine and type in “Java”. Irrespective of whether I am a coffee enthusiast looking to find information on my favourite brew or a programmer looking to skill up on the Jva programming language, I am presented with the same results based on same relevancy. The search engine doesn’t know who I am, doesn’t know what my interests are, doesn’t know what my objectives are.

Extending this to inside the firewall, different business units will have different perceptions on “What is relevant”. The IT department may place a premium on the most cited documentation for a topic, while sales may put a premium on the most recently added documentation.

If we can better serve heterogeneous business units with results to match their specific tasks we can reduce the amount of searching and gathering they need to do to produce more effective employees.

No comments: